Please note! This is an archived version of the previous North Burnett Regional Council website at July 2017. Some information is outdated and some functionality may not work correctly. Please visit the new North Burnett Regional Council website for the latest information.
North Burnett - Naturally Beautiful...
Beautiful Burnett River Biggenden Sunrise Burnett River from Mc Connell Lookout Cania Gorge Eidsvold Mingo Crossing Mount Perry Mt Perry Gold Mine Mundubbera to Gayndah and Gooroolba Mundubbera Paradise Dam

Pet Registration

Do I Have To Register My Dog?

Yes. The Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 stipulates that all dogs over 12 weeks of age must be registered and there is a penalty if the dog is not registered.  If your dog is found wandering and is not registered, Council will not be able to contact you.  Impounded dogs are put down after three working days if they are not claimed.  However, if your dog is registered, a Council officer will contact you.

Bona fide working dogs as per the definition in the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 are not required to be registered. That definition is:

working dog-

  1.  means a dog usually kept or proposed to be kept-
    1. on rural land; and
    2. by an owner who is a primary producer, or
    3. a person engaged or employed by a primary producer; and
  2. primarily for the purpose of-
    1. droving, protecting, tending, or working, stock; or
    2. being trained in droving, protecting, tending, or working, stock; and
    3. does not include a class of dog prescribed under a regulation.

An annual registration fee applies.  Sterilised and microchipped dogs are eligible for a discounted registration fee provided proof is available.

Forms are available from Council's Administration Centres or you can contact Council and have one mailed or emailed to you.

Please contact Council on 1300 MY NBRC (1300 696 272) for the latest fees payable.

How many dogs can I have?

Only two dogs may be kept per residence.  If you require to keep more than two dogs per residence then an Application can be made in writing to Council (Fee Applicable - See above).

Are there any prohibited breeds?

Yes.  The following four breeds of dogs are prohibited in the North Burnett Region:

  • The American Pit Bull Terrier
  • The Dogo Argentino
  • The Fila Brasileiro
  • The Tosa (Japanese)

Contact the Council's Administration Centre for more information regarding prohibited breeds.

What can I do about a stray dog?

If you have tethered the dog (private property only) an Animal Control Officer will collect it, if desired. Call 1300 MY NBRC (1300 696 272).  An Animal Control Officer will phone to arrange a suitable collection time when the property owner is present.

If the person who has the dog does not want to surrender it to the Animal Control Officer, Council will notify the owner with details of where the animal is being held.

If a dog is attacking people, what can I do?

Call Councils Administration Centre.  You will be asked to provide your name, address and telephone number.  Our staff will contact the complainant for further details and arrange to have a written statement as soon as possible, after which the matter will be investigated.

What do I do if there is a deceased dog on the road?

Contact Council, and a Council Officer will arrange to remove it.

What happens if my dog loses its identification tag?

Come into the Council's Administration Centre and we will issue you with a new one. Fees do apply. It is important that your dog has a tag for identification purposes, and that it's worn at all times..